The deed is done. December's wedding cake was quite a success! It was a simple but elegant cake, predominantly cream coloured, accentuated with gorgeous blood red roses. Oh so romantic!
Taste-wise, I got lots of personal feedback from guests that the carrot cake was moist and very good. So I'm happy that the cake tasted as good as it looked. :O)
The Design Story:
As you know, December's wedding couple met in junior college in their teen years and have been together for 10 years. They wanted that element of Time to be reflected in their wedding cake. She likes pretty and cute. He likes bold and simple. Do you see elements of those on the final cake?
So I thought it would be very special and meaningful to use words to evoke the memories that they shared. I asked them to come up with a list of 50 words which traced their relationship thus far and I would then pipe it onto the cake. (Easier said than done! The piping took me 4 hours! :OP )
The 50 Words:
Adrian Nil Sine Labore 98S45 Letters Secret Drama Centre Pasir Ris Park Parkway Parade Suntec Marina Breeks Touch Centre Makan Journey BMTC SMU NUS Jesus Christ Salvation Maranatha Baptist Church Degree Baptisms Testimony Brothers and Sisters Four Seasons Proposal Mind Café Two Years Marriage Counseling Dinner with the Sngs Preparation Wedding Angela
(I had extra space in at the bottom, which is better than not having enough space, so I piped the first line of their special: until He comes, we'll walk together.)
The couple met in the junior college whose motto is "Nil Sine Labore" which means nothing without labour. When I was piping that at 10 pm (with the prospects of 47 more words to go) I was thinking to myself, Oh yeah, I can agree with that! :OP But it was a labour of love for my church brethren (and my Lord Jesus) so I was happy to see it through.
I had also intended to pipe on their names on the middle tier and paint it burgundy. At 1 am (the day of the wedding), when I was at the point of doing that, I realized piping letters on large was really ugly. :OP
So, I went to my cake book library for a quick search for what kind of remedial action I could possibly do. Then I came up with using the fondant, and a template (fonts chosen from the internet), and then cutting out letter by letter and sticking them on to the cake.
Again, easier said than done! But once you've committed to doing the cake, you really got to see it through. We (husband and I) got to bed at 3 am.
These are the blood red roses I got, personally delivered by the couple the day before the wedding. They were really deep deep red and when they bloomed, it was mesmerizing.
As I use a blob of fondant instead of the usual green floral sponge, I need to do the flower arrangements last minute so that the flowers remain fresh for the wedding.
There's actually an invisible layer of baking paper which prevents the flowers from touching the cake. Flower pesticide (which can hardly be removed by washing) on cake is a big no-no!
Anyway, do check the album soon when I get more pics of this cake and the couple uploaded.